Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Words on Wednesday


I have realized (again) that despite loving to write, I don't actually write a lot on my blog. I think this is because when I finally get to sit and put together a blog post, I am out of time. It's past my bed time or there are still a million things that need to be done, and I end up just posting the necessities.

So, I am going to make a concerted effort to start posting at least one wordy post per week. Hopefully I will increase that slowly, but if there is one thing I have learned about making changes, it is baby steps!

Speaking of making changes, I am finally back to running.

For those of you who don't know, I have always hated running, but last year I decided that I need to fit some exercise into my busy schedule and with running, I can get a full workout in about 30 minutes. I started with the couch to 5k plan, and moved on to training for a 10 mile race. Over the course of that training I realized that while I still don't love the idea of getting out of bed to run (or getting out of bed at all for that matter). And while I still don't understand the whole 'runners high' or hitting that meditative state while running, I DO love how it makes me feel for the rest of the day. It helps my mood and stress level.

Well after that 10 mile race (yes I finished, but just barely) I hurt my ankle and couldn't run for about a month. Then I started up again, only to need some stitches on my back and become unable to run again. It's been almost a week since I got the stitches, (and a week until they come out) but I felt that it was healed enough for me to run, and I started slowly today with one mile.

and.... I feel GREAT!

eating right - that's another story. I want to, but man, I really love food! I ate my lean cuisine for lunch today, then proceeded to eat a little bit of all my co-workers' foods - a slice of enza's cheese, two of marisa's meatballs, one of donna's tortellinis. Yeah, not so good. (no, I didn't pick off their plates, it was more like they had dumped out of larger containers onto plates, and I did the same) but yeah, 600 calories later... argh.

and because I feel that everything needs a visual aide (and I dont really have one for the running and eating part) Here are some photos from our busy busy weekend last weekend. Yeah I'm a geek, I admit it. So is my husband, he admits it too. We went to the comic book convention this past weekend. We let Ellie pick who she wanted to dress up as, and she chose Katara from the last airbender (the cartoon and comic, not the new and terrible live action movie) Here is the inspiration, since I know most of you have no idea who katara is.

I made her costume and it turned out pretty well if I do say so myself. The top was an old karate uniform which we dyed blue. We dyed some white fabric to match and I sewed the skirt out of that. Then I added the white trim, made the necklace and braided the hair of her wig. The ribbons on her hands were her idea - she wanted it to look like she could bend water.
Here she is in the garage right after we parked, bending water.

Here she is posing with darth vader because her Zayda loves Darth vader.
and here she is doing the Katara pose before the kids costume contest. You can see that the wig has seen better days by this point, it kept falling off.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was searching Google for pictures of a 'Katara wig' and came across your blog (and this old post). So cute!

I had to leave a comment, because when I saw one of the photos, it was like looking in a mirror (or time machine)