Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My ACOT reveal - Hippity Hoppity

oh I soooo couldnt wait to share this! My reveal of WRMK Hippity Hoppity line is up at ACOT, see the article with all my creations HERE. But I just have to show you this, I am so proud! I took an awful easter basket and altered it into this gorgeous (if I do say so myself) item.




























Here is the original

























and here are some close ups of the final product




ETA some notes on how I created it. First I removed all the fringy ribbon. Turned out that that ribbon was mostly just woven in and not glued. As I unraveled it however, the top (now white) bands of the basket fell off, but that turned out to my advantage. After all the fringe was removed, I lightly sprayet the whole thing with blue glimmer mist, just to tone down the brightness of the colors in case any of it showed through when I was done. Then I cut strips of paper in the same width as the woven slats of the basket, and just wove them over top of the existing slats, buy sort of pushing the slat I was working on out and the others back to create more space. I also used tweezers in some hard to reach spots. I did the vertical slats first, using one strip to go up the outside and down the inside, leaving the ends just kind of hanging out in the middle and bottom of the basket. When I was all done with the weaving, I glued circles of cardstock to cover the ends of the papers, then mod podged the whole thing twice. Then I added the white cardstock to the top rim slats, and hot glued them back on. But since I didnt do such a gorgeous job with the hot glue, I used rick rack to cover the part where you could see the hot glue. the leaves I just cut freehand, and the flowers I created using a tutorial on the fancy pants blog, but I had to glue two sheets of paper together with modpodge before cutting my spirals since the paper in the collection pack was not double sided.

so yeah, it was pretty time consuming but I could do most of the weaving while watching TV. I think you could probably do this with pretty much any basket but the larger the slats the easier it would be.

4 comments:

Marlene said...

Wow - what a difference! How did you get around the weaving? Are those all pieces of paper stuck individually in place to cover what was there? I'm lost! This is amazing.

Marlene said...

Awesome! Thanks for adding the description of how you did all that. Sounds time consuming, but wow - it looks as though it was worth the effort.

Nishant said...

what a lovely blog thanks for sharing
work at home in india

Colleen said...

This looks awesome! Nice job and it makes me want to try one!